Wednesday, 12 February 2014

An Abstraction????

" The sub-conscious mind at work"
Reverse painting on Acrylic sheet

My first painting of a kind and the last( till now), this is a kind of painting that is painted reverse. This kind of image evolves from an unconscious strokes of pencil I used to do for quite a number of times. It was in my second year in college (2010-11) when we are confined to weekly submissions and a particular exercise.

This was an exercise to an introduction to mural painting. It is done in an acrylic sheet where you can see through, it a kind of transparent plastic glass. So! what you actually see in the painting is actually what is in the backside. What you see at the top is actually at the bottom; from where i paint, and is covered up in layers over successive layers of paint. You can't make a mistake painting this kind of painting thinking that you'd cover it up because the very first stroke of paint is visible-actually the most prominent from the other side from where the finished work is viewed. It is really difficult to do such work as you need to paint first what is supposed to be at the last in a normal way of painting, the left has to be painted in the right side...things like that. It's quite interesting as it takes lots of skill and ideas in the execution of the work alone. Since the sheet is slippery, the paint needs to be controlled greatly, with timing crucial as the paint gets dried fast making it very hard to blend or mix colours as I used acrylic and you can relate to the summer condition in India (New Delhi).

Recalling the times I had struggled to get myself get along the unfamiliar faces and places, I realised my feelings and emotions had so much to do with my artworks which I was not very much aware then. My consciousness must've overpowered my thought process and what's inside my head must've knocked down what's inside my heart. What I'm trying to imply here is - what I've felt deep inside, I never took the courage to let it pour out or make it happen. When you are an art student, you've been set a task by your own-self, questioning your abilities as a skilled artist, trying to prove yourself that you can do something ( My main implication here is to be able to render things realistically or naturally, specially when you are surrounded with laymen-not so into art ). You never took the courage to employ your creativity and playfulness if it's not something; like when you are afraid you' might get question like- "what the hell is that picture of?" My sketchbook was filled with lots of things, a sketch of  person or objects, random words and some scribbles such as this kind of painting. It's kind of difficult to make it into some serious painting when you don't know what it is. But then I did, it was like achieving something you're able of but being hold down. It's something like someone finally getting confident to let her voice known to others what she's been listening to all by herself in the bathroom while taking a shower.
So what!! when you don't know what it is, what you're painting? That actually makes it abstract. Not everything has to be clear, in fact nothing is really clear in art, and multiple interpretation is often sought in many a paintings. This painting is an expression, the expression not clear in itself...... but then it is a kind of formless (though it has a form, to argue it) set of thoughts and feelings that is lost in space...an endless cosmos stretched into infinty. The ideas and mind often work like this, the ability is infinite but never ventured deep enough and make it finite. Solid packed spheres and empty bubbles are another elements that constitute the human mind sometimes with ideas packed up and simply empty sometimes, they remain exists  at all times: its simply filling up the sphere.